Use of honey in the skincare industry is not a new concept, far from it! In Ancient Egypt, Cleopatra supposedly mixed honey and milk to make face masks for herself.
Honey naturally contains antibacterial, probiotic, and healing properties and it is very nourishing and hydrating too.
The easiest way to start using honey is creating your own mask. For a DIY approach, use raw honey all over your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it well with warm water. Don’t be tempted to use too much honey, one – two teaspoons are plenty. It can get a bit messy, if you prefer a more practical option, try a honey-based mask such or watch out for moisturisers or scrubs containing honey.
As you may know from our Raw vs Processed honey blog it is really important to choose the right, unprocessed and unpasteurised honey to truly benefit from the healing properties of honey.
The list for raw honey benefits for skin is endless, let’s look at the main one below.
- 🐝Acne: Honey is naturally antibacterial, perfect for acne treatment and prevention.
- 🐝Aging: Honey is full of antioxidants that helps slowing down aging.
- 🐝Complexion boost: Honey has great moisturising and soothing properties that naturally promote a healthy skin glow.
- 🐝Skin healing: Honey has been proven effective in healing wounds such as small post-acne scarves.
- 🐝Pores: Honey helps pores to open up and receive oxygen while preventing microbes from causing inflammation.
Hopefully, when you look at honey now you will see not only a tasty addition to your diet but also a multi use health powerhouse.